Dates for Communal Wood-firings in 2018:
- 1st – 10th May 2018
- 2nd – 11th July 2018
- 1st – 10th October 2018
Guldagergaard presents and invites you to a small series of communal firings celebrating the tradition and beauty of Wood Firing with two of our most popular kilns The Bourry Box and Soda Kiln.
Participation price for 10 days, including glazing materials, wadding, wood, equipment, accommodation in a shared room, and your own individual ceramic work wood fired in two of our most beloved kilns is:
- 4,350 DKK
- Student price 3,520 DKK
In choosing to wood fire, one chooses a lifestyle. Wood firing is a greatly communal part of ceramics that brings together people from all over to enjoy and share the excitement, labor, unpredictability and learning experiences. Fire and ash and/or soda leave their marks on sculptures and vessels, this physical and mental journey taken through each firing ensure the unique qualities unveiled through this process.
The timeframe of this programme is short and focuses on multiple aspects simultaneously – focusing on firing one’s own work and networking amongst others. Packing and firings will be discussed upon within the whole group. An important part of making the event successful is being aware of its partial experimentation which is based on each individual as well as the joint effort for team-work.
By joining this workshop you will have the opportunity to be part of two firings and witness the difference of nature of these two kilns. It is a great chance to experiment with varied ideas regarding surface treatment, to be part of a firing team and to gather new experiences for future uses.
Please bring with you:
- Bisque fired wares or at an additional fee arrangements can be made to arrive at least 1 week in advance to make and bisque work for the firing.
- Bring along all ceramic tools, firing gloves are necessary.
- Warm woollen or 100% natural material clothing, DO NOT wear synthetic materials while firing or near to flames.
- Hard toe working boots are advisory.
- Head Scarf for firing.
- Pen, notebook, camera to document the process.
- Each firing takes about 30 hours.
- All wares for firing MUST be bisqued to be fired in this workshop.
- Ceramic work should be NOT MORE THAN: 45cm high, 40cm wide, 90cm long.
- The amount of each participant’s pieces going in the kiln depends on the number of participants. If you bring a lot of work it may not get fired, thank you for understanding.
- The Bourry Box kiln measures: L 170cm, H 50cm, W 50cm
- The Soda kiln measures: L 90cm, H 110cm, W 50cm
- Evening meals are not included but can be organized between the group. Breakfast and lunch are up to each individual.
DEADLINE for applying: 15th January 2018.
Apply on email: firstname.lastname@example.org
If any question regarding the workshop contact:
Kiln Yard Technician – Evelin Saul on email: email@example.com
Or call: +45 58 19 0016