20th of August – 24th of August 2022
Please join us in our celebration of wood firing by participating in our journey in discovering how and why fire and ash leave their marks on sculptures and vessels unveiling the unique qualities that can only be achieved through wood firing.
This time we will fire our very popular Bourry Box kiln.
The Train kiln with a Bourry Box type of firebox, is based on a Japanese kiln. The design of the kiln encourages ash deposits on the pots and creates natural ash surfaces like those in Anagama kilns.
This Workshop includes preparing ceramics for firing, loading the kiln, preparing firewood, as well as taking care of the kiln and ceramics after the firing, which is important knowledge for everyone who is passionate of wood-firings.
The firings usually last from 12 to 14 hours. Our train kiln is 425L kiln with dimensions W170 x L50 x H50
The workshop is led by our kiln yard technicians Ana Tanevska and Oliver Harding. Feel free to contact our technicians if you have questions about the process:
Add on: Short Term Residency possibility
Guldagergaard offers the possibility for Workshop participants to combine the Workshop days with 1-2 weeks residency before the Workshop for additional price of 2500 DKK per week (incl tax). This would allow participants to make their ceramics on-site before the firing.
Price includes access to Studio facilities and accommodation for 1 week. Price doesn’t include additional firings and materials.
To reserve Short Term Residency send e-mail directly to: email@example.com.
Schedule of the Workshop:
10:00 – Start of the workshop
Looking at glaze samples
Glazing and wadding
Start firing (late afternoon)
2nd day: Firing
3-4th day: Kiln cools down (no activities on these days)
5th day: Unloading, Clean up
3400 DKK (incl tax)
What you get:
- Guidance from our technicians
- Range of glazes to choose from
- Materials necessary for loading kiln
- Assistance while loading the kiln
- Assistance during the firing
- Leather aprons and gloves (although we recommend that you bring your own)
What you must bring:
- Bisque-fired works (unless you join Residency before the Workshop). It is hard to estimate how many pieces you will be able to fire. It depends on the amount of participants and size of everyone’s works. It is better to bring a bit more and have a variety to choose from.
- Dust mask or respirator
- Working clothes: pants, shirt with long sleeves and jackets made only from natural fabrics. No open toes!
– Working clothes: pants, shirt with long sleeves and jackets made only from natural fabrics. No open toes!
Language of Workshop:
It is possible to order:
- a breakfast bag: organic bread from local bakery, yogurt, cheese & jam, orange juice. Price: 85 DKK (incl tax)
- lunch salad with bread, veggie or regular.
Price: 110 DKK (incl tax)
- sandwich, roast beef, or salmon
Price: 65 DKK (incl tax)
Accommodation during the Workshop:
It is possible to rent a room at Guldagergaard for 300 DKK per night (only if available)
If you have any questions, contact: firstname.lastname@example.org